Saturday, June 11, 2011

Ink and Paint

I want to tell you a story about a girl named Ramona.  
Don't worry, this is a happy story.

Once upon a time, in a town called the Evergreens, lived a girl named Ramona.  Now if you were to look in on her, you may have found her to be quite discouraged.  You see, she didn't have the money to buy gorgeous Disney art and cels online.  She would spend hours looking at all the incredible art work just to exit the page with a heavy heart.  

One day she stumbled across a guy (on the internet) who made his own cel artwork.  All of the sudden, a spark of an idea started to grow in little Ramona's mind.  It grew and it grew until she could no longer think about it anymore. And what she thought was this -

I could make my own cel artwork... of my drawings and Disney drawings and mermaids and fairies and characters and THE WHOLE WORLD!! 

She hoped on the bus in search of what she would need.  By the end of the day she had her supplies and started to paint.  She drew and she painted, she painted and drew.  She tested out paints and found what she wanted.  When she sat back and looked, a smile crept up.  A smile of joy and satisfaction, of happiness and determination.  She would make more and more of these until she could make no more.  

And this is what she made-


So my story was a tad dramatic... heheh! However, more entertaining that way. I only made one today cause I was testing out different paints etc. The eyebrow looks odd cause the paints bled a bit. I used acrylics and added water so they weren't so thick. It works but I don't like that you can see the brush strokes.  I think Disney used Gouache, but I'm not positive.  Anyone know what paint works best?! I would most appreciate some advice.

The other day I read a fairy tale by the Grimm Brothers called "Mother Holle", I decided to draw the main character.  The first drawing is her at the beginning of the story, and the second is at the end, when she is showered with gold. 


I want to start drawing characters from books more often.  I think my next project will be characters from the Hunger Games!  Such good books!

No comments:

Post a Comment